I subscribe to The Blue Swan Daily, an aviation publication produced by CAPA or the Center for Aviation, through which I receive daily emails with industry analysis and news. I especially enjoy their airline and airport insight that provides great information on metrics like busiest markets by capacity, fleet listing, average flight length, annual traffic etc. You can view a sample insight on Melbourne Tullamarine airport (MEL) here.
CAPA is holding its Melbourne Aviation & Corporate Travel Summit on May 24 and caught up with Vic Naughton, General Manager for Air Canada for Australia & New Zealand prior to the event. You can watch the entire interview here, but the following are my key takeaways:
- Australia has been a successful market for Air Canada evident by recent confirmation of plans to resume 3 times weekly Vancouver-Melbourne service, upgraded to 4 times weekly starting in November of 2018
- Air Canada is the only North American carrier to fly to the 3 Australian cities of Sydney (SYD), Brisbane (BNE) and Melbourne (MEL)
- Melbourne is the longest flight in Air Canada's network at a flight time of 16h10m and a distance of 8,211 miles
- Vic attributes the routes' success to:
- Air Canada's focus on elevating its brand
- The strength of YVR owing to its onward connections and its 9-year-in-a-row status as North America's #1 airport awarded by Skytrax
- Canada's reputation as a year-round destination
- The corporate market has also seen strength and revenue has doubled in 2017 from the year prior owing to:
- Synergies between Canada and Australia's business environments thanks to similarities in language, culture and resource-based economies
- Among the fastest options to get to NYC from Australia and THE fastest from Brisbane. Seamless connections and widebody service aboard the 787 all the way to NYC have further attracted corporate travellers to transit through YVR
- Roll out of Air Canada's Signature Service across its portfolio which you can read more about here
As a Canadian, it's great to see our flag carrier enjoy success as they add non-stop services and provide improved connectivity options for all.